I don't know if I've seen this anywhere on the web - my apologies if
you've posted something, or if this is something you don't want to
disclose. I see that Twitter has gone with Cassandra as a "non-SQL"
database, and I'm wondering if there are any blog posts on the
decision process - why was Cassandra chosen over, say CouchDB, MongoDB
or some of the other fairly well known persistence mechanisms? I
suspect I know the answer relative to a traditional RDBMS -
performance and scalability - but I see advocates for various open-
source databases of the non-SQL variety in friendly and sometimes not-
so-friendly competition and the "Cassandra advocates" don't seem to be
very vocal. So - why Cassandra?