I'm surprised by this.

Honestly, I think Twitter should not be allowing authenticated
requests -- whether via signature or Basic Auth -- to happen over non-
encrypted connections. Verifying the authenticity of the server is
important, as a fair bit of trust is put in the data clients get back
from Twitter.

from <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-oauth-10>

"4.3.  Spoofing by Counterfeit Servers

   This protocol makes no attempt to verify the authenticity of the
   server.  A hostile party could take advantage of this by
intercepting
   the client's requests and returning misleading or otherwise
incorrect
   developing services using this protocol, and should require
   transport-layer security for any requests where the authenticity of
   the server or of request responses is an issue."

In addition, if the consumer secret is discovered (which doesn't seem
terribly difficult, especially with OSS apps), I do worry about the
potential for session hijacking with plain text OAuth parameters. It's
more challenging than some situations, but with enough motivation it
seems doable.

--
Ed Finkler
http://funkatron.com