Quoting GeorgeMedia <georgeme...@gmail.com>:

Well I have Lon/lat data for all (not just major, all) US ans CA
cities so converting the location name to Lon/lat data is somehing I
can do in house. I can even do my own radius calculations no sweat. I
just am having trouble determining how I go about filtering out the
garbage in the location field and finding actual usable city/state
info.

Knowing how Twitter does it sure would help!

I've actually filed a defect on "How Twitter does it" ;-) "fart_robot"
from "Botland" shows up in Twitter Searches for PDX. ;-)

http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1348

I've also seen people from the UK and Australia show up in PDX searches.

Well ... "Botland" sorta sounds like Portland, right? ;-)
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdos