If you make the requests authenticated as your users each one will have 20k
hits per hour.

"Each whitelisted entity, whether an account or IP address, is allowed 20000
requests per hour. This means that two authenticated users using the same IP
address would each get 20000 requests per hour." -
http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Rate-limiting

Depending on your application you can cache all the user objects and then
use the Social Graph APIs to find missing profiles.

Abraham

--
Abraham Williams | Community Advocate | http://abrah.am
TwitterOAuth | http://github.com/abraham/twitteroauth