Perhaps he's someone famous in another service and simply asked people to follow him. Or maybe he has a mailing list with thousands of subscribers and simply said, "Hey, I'm on Twitter - follow me at ..." There's nothing wrong with asking people to follow you!
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdos

Quoting "@kemeny_x" <loop...@gmail.com>:

Apparently he started tweeting only a few day ago and has over 10,000
followers... others are noticing also: http://twitter.com/franklinpolanco/statuses/10588238989