Hi, I'm Derek Gathright, Yahoo engineer by day, Twitter hacker by night. I
first started with the platform by creating a web client a few years ago
(Tweenky.com, currently suffering from a little neglect) and since went on
to create a number of other random apps.  After Tweenky's launch, TechCrunch
picked it up and the traffic slammed the site, just about killing it.
Performance was horrible, so I decided to fix the scaling issue by getting
rid of a backend. Wha? How do you do that? I rewrote it in 99% JavaScript
(the 1% being a cross-domain proxy).  I first started with jQuery, and am
now working on another rewrite in YUI3.  In the past, it was easy to
out-innovate the Twitter.com client, but nowdays it is hard to keep up with
only a few hours/week. Slow down guys! :P

By doing all this experimentation with Twitter in JS, it's allowed, and
inspired me, to learn so much about that language.  Knowledge I otherwise
probably wouldn't have, and that's what I love about the Twitter platform.
 It's so flexible and allows me to use it as the basis for tinkering around
with any new technology I want.  Feel like learning some new language or
framework? Create a Twitter app.  When the incredibly awesome JSFiddle.net
came out, the first thing I did was hack together a YUI3/YQL/Twitter example
to play around (http://jsfiddle.net/derek/Vjxt2/).  Doing that with Facebook
and other platforms would be more difficult than just a few lines of code.

Anyways, </rambling>

Cheers
http://twitter.com/derek
http://derekville.net