Is anybody else seeing a high frequency of search timeouts?

I have a periodic search with 6 keyword ORs and 3 negating attributes
(i.e.  -from=, -source=, -RT)

Seemed to be working fine until yesterday.

Here's the weird part though.

First case:
- execute complex search directly in browser and it times out like my
app gets on App Engine

Second case:
- run a simple, single word, search in a browser
- then run the complex search immediately after and it works

It's almost like it has to be primed? It also seems like the "-source"
parameter is the problem, but that could just be anecdotal and clouded
by my second case example above.