You might also consider looking into Tweepy [1]. It is a library I have
written and released open source.
The way I handle errors is I parse the message Twitter sends and then throw
an exception.
You can then catch it and extract that message.
If you have any trouble at all we have both a mailing list and IRC chat. So
feel free to ask there
and hopefully we can lead you in the right direction.

Josh

[1] http://github.com/joshthecoder/tweepy