I did a search around to see if I could find a similiar thread asking
what I am, but I'm having a hard time putting together the correct
search keywords for this.

I'm developing a twitter bot and plan to implement some features in
the bot itself, and others in a web application.  The bot and web
application will use the same database to keep in sync.

The features I plan to add would potentially increase the status
update rate for my bot.  If these events occur, I would transition
those features to the web app instead.  However, I don't see a way to
check against the status update limit short of keeping track locally.
It seems that the 1000 tweet limit is further broken down into some
unknown number.  Is there any way to check against the update limit so
I know to throttle my bot and modify my code? I'd rather not keep
hitting the API limit through HTTP errors and potentially get my bot
in trouble.

Also, I've seen a limit on duplicate content for not just the last
tweet, but x tweets back as well.  I normally get around this by
adding randomization to my bots tweets, which has worked pretty well,
but I'm curious as to why the "x tweets back" isn't clearly defined
somewhere.

If these questions are already answered somewhere I appologize ahead
of time, Once again I tried a few search keywords and didn't come up
with much.