hi matt.

it seems like you are asking about two things here.

1. the status IDs on the public timeline have zeros on the end -- that's
because we have a really simple algorithm picking statuses that go into the
public_timeline

2. between subsequent calls to the public timeline, even after the caching
period, you are seeing duplicate statuses.

so, for #2, are you seeing new statuses also?