At this point, all I'm looking for is a way to upgrade this piece of
PHP code to take into account the new authentication model:

$ch = curl_init('http://twitter.com/statuses/update.xml');
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, 10);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS,
'status='.urlencode(trim($message)));
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, $settings['twitter-username'].':'.
$settings['twitter-password']);
$response = curl_exec($ch);
$resp = curl_getinfo($ch, CURLINFO_HTTP_CODE);
curl_close($ch);