hi ron.

i'm just seeing you respond to every message in this thread lambasting
oauth, so i figured it may be time to say something.  i suggest you read up
on the history of oauth?  there are two reasons, that i care about, that
oauth is important:

   1. *minimizing the exposure of user's usernames and passwords*: in the
   base case, no - i don't trust random applications to have access to user's
   passwords.  this is similar to the argument i made in this blog post:
   http://mehack.com/xauth-and-perhaps-the-need-for-socializing-ap.  there
   are a few applications i trust "more" than i trust other apps: mail.app on
   my mac, for example, safari and chrome, for example.  sure, its possible to
   attack those applications -- but, i believe, the probability of somebody
   managing an attack on those applications is significantly greater than the
   probability of an application, malicious or not, exposing a password.  the
   password could be exposed for malicious means, or simply a bug.  mail.app,
   safari, chrome, etc. have massive corporations who are very much
   incentivized to patch/update them if there is a security problem.
    random-twitter-app?  not so much.  (a different argument on this theme,
   however, is whether users care about this)
   2. *providing differing levels of access*:  twitter implements read and
   read/write as access profiles on applications.  it is possible to give an
   application only "read" access to your account, which means that it cannot
   post a status update -- only read your timeline and such.  this is not
   possible in a world where you are handing out your password.  if a user's
   password is giving to a third party application, then all the permissions of
   a user is exposed.

sure - i also have interests regarding "visibility" into the platform (if an
application has a bug, we can trivially figure out which application it is;
if a user is curious "which app is reading my DMs" we will be able to tell
them, etc.).  but i also really do care about the security of users.

Some of you talk about an "app" as if it were a person.  Sure, apps