What is your goal for this application?

Are you trying to get a sampling of statuses for analysis, or for
occasional casual display? If the former, you should use a sample
method on the Streaming API. If the later, please persist in your
quest for a reasonably unique result set. The public timeline isn't
used much anymore and regressions could theoretically and regrettably,
exist for a bit without anyone noticing.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.