There are several conditions that will result in a 413. You'll get a
short text message back with the error code that should describe the
problem. Note that the default access role limits you to following
just 400 userids. You'll need elevated access to follow more.

Yes, please send POST params. URL params are useful for prototyping
and general hackery, but the length is limited.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.