I'm not particularly familiar with the specifics of WebSockets but here is
the draft documentation: http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/

I don't see Chrome Extensions as being any different from desktop
applications as they are both manually installed by the user on their
desktop.

Abraham

--
Abraham Williams | Developer for hire | http://abrah.am