I've been asking Twitter to review the crossdomain.xml situation for
months. You can find old threads on the issue by searching this forum.
@raffi has said he elevated the issue to the security team for review.
I'm sure they've been mulling it over day-and-night :)

In the meantime you will indeed need to use a proxy, and there are
lots of examples out there for creating PHP proxies. Here is one to
get you started:
http://www.switchonthecode.com/tutorials/using-a-php-proxy-with-flex-to-talk-cross-domain

You'll have to extend that a bit if you want to pass parameters from
Flex to your proxy and then on to Twitter.