Hi Ken,

Few things I would check:

#1 - is the account that you are using "geo-enabled" ? You can configure
this option on the account settings page:
http://twitter.com/settings/account
#2 - I noticed that in your query here, you've specified
"display_coordinates=true" with a question mark ahead of it. Since you
already had a query parameter, you should be joining it by an ampersand
(same with long)
#3 - The lat, long, and display_coordinates are all more appropriately
passed as POST parameters (like you are doing for status

Your request, given that the user is geo-enabled, might be better executed
as:

curl -u username:password -d status="status_text" -d lat="32.6626" -d
long="-115.8471" -d display_coordinates="true"
http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/update.json

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod