Hi Rhys,
- you're right status should be at the end of the base string. Even
though it's sent as a POST, it still has to go in alpha order in the
base string.
- Also be careful of the leading %3F you've got after the update.xml -
should just be (method)&(baseURL+service)&(list of params separated by
%26)
- Once you've signed with this string, your message will look like:
(pseudo code not actual message)

POST HTTP 1.1 /statuses/update.xml
Host: api.twitter.com:443
Authorization: (list of params as normal, including oauth_signature
but NOT including status)
Body:
status=test

Also note that if you have non-alpha characters in the status string
(eg. space, etc) you must URL encode them BEFORE compiling the base
signature string, and also ensure they remain URL encoded in the POST
body.

Hope this helps
Stephen