On Jun 12, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Jef Poskanzer wrote:
> Application authors are being asked to devote substantial resources to
> the OAuth conversion, but OAuth provides no security for application
> authors!

It does from a web app perspective which is the primary design goal of OAuth
since there would be no distribution of your secret in that scenario.

With OAuth, the issue is that if you are distributing secrets out that are
embedded in your app, even with all the measures you can take to encrypt and
obfuscate them, they can still be extracted at some point if someone has time.
The issue is compounded since the app uses the same key universally in all the
versions they ship that work so you are screwed if someone does yank your key.
All versions you shipped are at risk then. Your only recourse is to rev your
secret and force all your users to upgrade their apps to get new keys.  In
practice, this isn't that bad since twitter isn't hosting credit card data or
anything of major risk and you basically devolve into the same issue we had
with app identify we had with basic auth and passing clear text source ids
(except that maybe now all your apps are crippled).

I've been pondering how you could solve this from my experience with solving
these issues with SSL/TLS. One idea is having a sort of delegation chain where
I could generate a new delegated secret for each copy of my app I distribute
rather then using my same static secret directly in all my apps and then the
client could pass the authentication chain up when it goes to Twitter to get an
access token.

This is similar to the idea of having the ability to issue multiple secrets
against a single app like I was suggesting earlier which could work with the
OAuth spec today. However a delegation system would be even better so I could
issue delegated secrets at will without going back to Twitter, although that
idea would probably require extending the OAuth spec to handle passing signed
delegation chains of some kind.

I'm hoping OAuth 2\WRAP allows this somehow since it builds on SSL/TLS instead
of reinventing the wheel. There is a lot OAuth could learn from SSL/TLS which
I'm hoping that OAuth 2/WRAP takes full advantage of in solving. :-)

Right now though, one solution if you are ultra paranoid if you are going to
distribute software, is to proxy the calls from your own software through your
own web service (which would render the ease of use you get from xAuth moot but
you are sacrificing usability for security).

Zac Bowling
@zbowling