Ok ... it seems to be missunderstanding ...

The NEW documentation on the Twitter API does not include a working
sample, so I missunderstood how to make the API call :

http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/users/suggestions/slug is the page, no
sample ...

The correct format in which the calls should be made is :

http://api.twitter.com/1/users/suggestions/books.json

where "books" is the slug name, and the extension is json or xml

Just fyi - a sample like in the old API docs would be great