Most users wouldn't put the anchor tags in a link. And they probably
shouldn't as twitter does the equivalent of a php htmlspecialchars on
posts. But if you look at your home page twitter renders urls as links
even if you just pasted a url into a post.

Is it really necessary to parse posts to detect urls and wrap anchor
tags around them? I don't think this problem is specific to /users/
lookup.