As you probably have seen, I'm building a virtual appliance called the Social Media Analytics Research Toolkit. It's a Linux desktop with software added for data collection, management and analysis, with the data focus on Twitter and analysis focus on natural language processing. The appliance is built using SUSE Studio and is a VMware / VirtualBox virtual machine image.

If any of you have open source projects relating to Twitter and would like to be included, please send me an email off-list or send a tweet to @znbeta. The software *must* have an open source license, and my preference is for software that's already packaged in the OpenSUSE Build Service, but as long as it can be built from source on a Linux machine, I'll consider it.

I'm personally mostly using Perl and R, but there are Python and Java packages already and I welcome software in other languages - I'll put the dependencies in to support them if said dependencies are open source. I know there are more open source data management and natural language processing packages out there, but right now I want to focus on the Twitter stuff.

Incidentally, the final release will *not* take place until the Twitter open source oAuth setup is completely documented and tested! Nothing I am currently including in the appliance uses oAuth, and nothing will until all the bureaucratic human handshaking around oAuth is complete.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net/about-smartznmeb/