Incase it helps anyone investigating...

users/lookup.json returns a complete response when I access it through
a web browser or fiddler.net

users/lookup.json returns a partial response when I access it
programmatically through a .NET WebRequest or through curl from an OSX
command line

I originally thought it might be http request headers, but I've
stripped out ever header except Auth within fiddler and I continue to
get full responses.