At this time:

- List names can have up to 20 characters.
- Slugs are automatically created based off of list names
- All slugs are downcased and stripped at time of creation, most
non-alphanumeric characters will be converted to dashses.
- When comparing existing list slugs for the current user, the list slug
being created is also put through the same normalization routine
- If the list slug would have nothing but non-ASCII characters (for
instance, in Japanese), we simply use the phrase "list" followed by a dash
and a number depending on how many lists of this type they had
- If at any time the comparison of existing lists to the current candidate
slug for creation match, the new list will be created with a dash and
incremental number.

So all those verbose bits to say:

If the User has 1 list called "Awesome!" it would have a slug of "awesome"
If the User then created a new list called "Awesome!!" it would have a slug
of "awesome-2"
If the User then created a new list called "東京都民" it would have a slug of
"list"
If the User then created a new list called "東京都民!!" it would have a slug of
"list-2"
If the User then created a new list called "AwesomE!!!!" it would have a
slug of "awesome-3"

Hope this helps.

Taylor