> OAuth is a web authentication protocol.  It was not designed to
> authenticate desktop and mobile apps, and should not be used for that.

I have to disagree. I can't think of a single protocol that allows the
identification of applications without the possibility of leaking keys
- if you have to use a key, it can be stolen, and if you don't have to
use a key, you can't identify (or anyone can).

If you use some kind of server-side proxy, you still have the same
issue, because you also have to identify your application to your own
server - which anyone can do, no matter how good the encryption is.

Tom