as Julio stated above, the official response from Taylor (in another
thread) was that this solution will *not* be rolled out. there is
currently no other alternative being offered other.

and just to repeat what has already been said a few time in this
thread - this is not just a problem with open source apps. any app
that is distributed (ie: not running on your own web server) has this
problem. i read on Daring Fireball the other day about a new Twitter
app called Hibari, so i downloaded it and got the consumer key and
secret within a couple of minutes. others apps are just as susceptible
- any time the user has the code, the secret must be considered
unsecure.

i dont know how oAuth can be considered a solution for non-web apps,
but i hold out hope that an alternative will be offered.