Hi there.

Anyone who uses Twitter from multiple devices will have noticed one thing: It
can be really hard to figure out which Tweets he already read and which are
new. Many clients incorporate some sort of sync-feature between multiple
clients, but those info isn't available to clients from another publisher. So
why not save this info in the twitter account-data? Here are some thoughts
about this:

Tweets have an incrementing ID and (IMO) should mostly be read in the correct
order. So there is not need to individually track which user read which tweets.
You could just save the ID of the newest tweet the user read (same goes for DMs
because they have their own IDs). Tweets with an ID greater than the memorized
ID would be considered new.

On Twitter's side there would be two new field necessary. Let's for example
call them last_read_status_id and last_read_dm_id. Also we would need two more
API endpoints: account/get_last_read_ids, which just returns
last_read_status_id and last_read_dm_id and account/set_last_read_ids, which
would take at least one of both values and save them to the Twitter account the
user is authenticated for.

What do you think? I'd love to see this feature in the twitter API and would
implement it in my clients ASAP.

Best regards,
Fabian Schlenz