Hi Spode,

Thanks for your questions, i've answered them inline.

> Will the new IDs continue on from the old IDs sequentally? Or will
> they be completely incompatible with the old IDs?

All existing IDs will stay the same. The new IDs will be greater than
the old ones and there is likely to be a gap between the old and new.
I'm not sure what you mean by being incompatible though - an ID is a
unique identifier for an object and the new IDs will continue to be
unique identifiers.

> I have a database of several million tweets that JournoTwit users use.
> I don't want to have to start differentiating between two ID types and/
> or having to completely clear the database out.

You won't have to clear your database out or change the the datatype.
The new status IDs are still 64bit integers, with newer Tweets having
numerically higher IDs.

> What I haven't seen amongst any of this documentation - is an example
> of the new status ids in comparison to the old? That would probably
> answer a few questions :D And I assume - Direct Messages will be
> undergoing the same transformation?

The new status IDs apply to Tweets, ReTweets and Mentions (so
basically anything that can show up in the home timeline).
The code that generates the IDs has been shared and you can read more
about Snowflake from our engineering team on their blog.
http://bit.ly/announcing-snowflake

Hope that answers your questions,
Matt

--