Hi,

I hope someone can clarify a few things for me please

I need to retrieve individual tweets via some sort of backend api/rss/
xml -ish web service for a website that I'm building. I can do the
searching for hashtags/keywords etc fine; but I'm having trouble
getting the contents of individual tweets when I have the url/id for
the tweet.

To elaborate;

I have a URL like this:

http://twitter.com/USERNAME/status/123456789

and I know I can then hit

http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/show/123456789.xml

to get that tweet and user detail in xml format.

However I'm finding that after a few tries I start to get
authentication issues; it seems to be some kind of rate limiting,
because eventually I can get it again.

Now while I certainly won't be overwhelming twitter with requests or
anything, I do need the ability to make more than a few requests per
hour.

So what's the best way to achieve this?

Do I have to authenticate with oAuth or something? Can you clarify
this? Because everything I've ready about oAuth suggests that it
requires some sort of user intervention as well to complete the
process. I don't want this. I have my twitter app (with ID and Secret)
and I want to be able to use that to authenticate and query Twitter as
much as possible.

Is there an example of this that I can look at?

Thanks!!!