Peoples' desktops are almost all Windows (90%) or MacOS X (9%). I don't know about Macs but I know for a fact that Windows XP and later desktops can be *easily* syncronized to "world time" via NTP - in fact, Microsoft has servers!

And for the 1% outliers like me (openSUSE 11.3) there are usually desktop tools (YaST2) that make it point-and-click. As long as your users are following their desktop maker's religion about viruses, software updates, firewalls, etc., and aren't running something ancient like Windows Millenium Edition or a PowerPC Mac with a dial-up Internet connection, they should have clocks that are right as long as they're on line.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net http://twitter.com/znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos

Quoting "J.D." <jeremy.d.mul...@gmail.com>:

For desktop apps using oAuth, the timestamp issue causing 401 errors
is a big problem. People's desktops have all sorts of crazy times set
on them. This means now every application that uses Twitter oAuth
needs to have code written to sync/modify its time with Twitter's.
It's a pain.

Change your membership to this group: http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk?hl=en