On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 20:55:19 +0200
Tom van der Woerdt <i...@tvdw.eu> wrote:

> On 9/4/10 8:51 PM, Bernd Stramm wrote:
> > On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 20:34:50 +0200
> > Tom van der Woerdt <i...@tvdw.eu> wrote:

> >> I'd be right in both cases. ;-) Although compensating for the
> >> timezone is also an option. (But really, the Unix Timestamp is
> >> always UTC, right?)
> >
> > The sever of the website may be configured to a timezone that is
> > different from the server's timezone. And, we don't know how the
> > website code determines the time stamp. 5 minutes off indicates
> > something wrong with the server, but it's not unheard of.
> Unix time, or POSIX time, is a system for describing points in time,
> defined as the number of seconds elapsed since midnight proleptic
> Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) of January 1, 1970, not counting leap
> seconds.
>
> Read the UTC part ;-)

Yes I am aware of that, oh wise one :)

We do not know how the website code is obtaining its time stamp, and
whether that time stamp is converted to some kind of local time.
There are plenty of function calls that return a time stamp, not all of
them give you raw POSIX time.

--
Bernd Stramm
bernd.str...@gmail.com