Jeff,

All of my 'sites' are under control of one domain, so I just set a
cookie before auth
on any of the sites (with it's url), and then I redirect to the
correct subdomain from my main site
once my main site gets back control (I also do some housekeeping).

I said 'I just set...' but this was fairly complex to get right and to
deal with all situations.

If you are going to many other sites, not under your control, I am not
sure if the cookie
method would work,

I hope someone else has some ideas :)

Mark