Large companies, and anyone who wants sustained access to high-volume
Twitter data, use the Streaming API. The REST API is primarily for client
applications and very-small-scale integrations. Note that REST whitelisting
is unlikely for use-cases that are covered by the Streaming API.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Twitter, Inc.