The problem is that you are confusing xAuth and OAuth. xAuth is only
<https://api.twitter.com/oauth/access_token>, allowing you to exchange
username/password for oauth_token and oauth_token_secret.

OAuth only needs those two keys, not your username or password. (I would
recommend that you read the docs and/or OAuth 1.0a spec)

Also, I wouldn't recommend opening the URL in a new window. If your
programming language has a way to open the URL and display the output, I
would recommend that option.

Tom