Hey Jonathan, how's the Mission? Figures that I'd find a thread
started by you for the same issue we're also having. :)

So yes, we're also getting bit by the same issue.  One thing I noticed
on #newtwitter is that the encoding is mangled during a redirect
(from /home?status= to /?status=):

Redirect FAILS on #newtwitter:
http://twitter.com/home?status=Trying%20out%20URL%20encoding%20%26%20stuff%20on%20%23newtwitter%20vs%20%23vintagetwitter

Direct URL WORKS on #newtwitter:
http://twitter.com/?status=Trying%20out%20URL%20encoding%20%26%20stuff%20on%20%23newtwitter%20vs%20%23vintagetwitter

Unfortunately we're all not supposed to use the latter method. It
works on #vintagetwitter but it doesn't preserve the status message
after the user logs in to either version anyway.

I just submitted the issue because it looks like @jhstrauss didn't get
around to it yet:
http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1904

Cheers,