The problem with that method is that
a) I would still need to use a large number of api calls just to build
the initial list
b) it requires new followers to appear on the first api call. Whilst
this happens at the moment, it might not in the future.
c) the api won't tell me people you have recently unfollowed
d) I'd need to check for updates on a server side for each user on a
frequent basis

if it was just for me, I'd be happy with this method (check once a
day, not many changes). but for 000s of users it gets time consuming.