I'm also very interested if there is an update on this.

For me, it doesn't matter whether there is a q parameter or not.
If the geocode pararemter is used, only geotagged tweets are returned.
http://search.twitter.com/search.json?geocode=-35.28204%2C149.12858%2C50.0km

I get the same result when using the Advanced Search form (place:
Canberra, radius: 50km).

Thanks,
Bella