I agree. A large dataset always leads to a query to make your own "api call".

Best,

--------------
Edward H. Hotchkiss
http://www.edwardhotchkiss.com/
http://www.twitter.com/edwardhotchkiss/
--------------

On Nov 14, 2010, at 11:31 PM, Adam Green wrote:

I may be too much of a database guy :), but my instinct is always to
grab what I can, normalize it into a set of database tables, and then
do the analysis myself. I always learn more that way. If you want the
top tags for all tweets, you can access the sample method of the
streaming API, get the tags from the entities object in each tweet,
and put them into a table.

http://dev.twitter.com/pages/streaming_api_methods#statuses-sample

This will give then you want you asked for:
SELECT count(*) AS cnt, tag
FROM tags
GROUP BY tag
ORDER BY cnt DESC
LIMIT 1000

I haven't worked with the sample method, but if it truly is a random
sample, the tags will be representative of the entire flow. Then you
can go back and use the search API for the most recent tweets for each
tag, although the rate limits will keep you from getting too many. A
solution there is to search for multiple tags at once, and then split
them out by tag yourself. Although you still can only get 1,500 tweets
for each search.