In addition, the server time is returned in the HEAD of every response from
the Twitter API. If the first request fails you can inspect the time
returned in the HEAD and calculate the difference between it and your local
time. You can then add/subtract that difference to the timestamp you use for
OAuth requests.

Hope that helps,
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter