I am brand new at this twitter api thing.

When I try this example from the docs, well, first, I was surprised
that it asked for my username and password. I thought this should work
with just the url, but it wanted me to sign in to the api? Should I
just be using my twitter credentials for that?

Anyway, related or not, this thing:
http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/followers.xml?screen_name=noradio
... works rarely (twice actually, right after asking me for password),
then after that it returns this:
<errors>
<error code="53">Basic authentication is not supported</error>
</errors>

It's not protected users. And it's not doing the same user more than
once in a row, because I tried new ones.

Help?