Thanks for the responses.  That's unfortunately not the case.  We've gone
massively concurrent with this (we've wrapped our own concurrent queueing
around twitter4j, which it looks like Yusuke has just updated to add his own
concurrent approach to this...thx), and falling behind on the stream is
definitely not the problem.

Bandwidth is not the problem.

I still don't understand why, right after reconnecting to the twitter
firehose, the stream just plain ends.  It's not happening after some time of
possibly falling behind...it happens right away.

To clarify, this is NOT an issue all the time.  And since I posted this the
other day, the problem has gone away as mysteriously as it arrived.  But it
does happen from time to time.  When everything else on my app's end is
steady-state, the flying fickle finger of blame points to twitter...  :-)

Thanks,
Dan