Here's my non API call searches from search.twitter.com with a 5mi
range:

keg near:"121 W Trade St, Charlotte NC" within:5mi
http://search.twitter.com/search?q=+keg+near%3A%22121+W+Trade+St%2C+Charlotte+NC%22+within%3A5mi
http://search.twitter.com/search?q=&ands=keg&phrase=&ors=&nots=&tag=&lang=all&from=&to=&ref=&near=121+West+Trade+St%2C+Charlotte%2C+NC&within=5&units=mi&since=&until=&rpp=50

If you extend the radius to 10mi, you'll get significantly more
results. My office is in the heart of Charlotte at a major
intersection as well (Trade St and Tryon St).

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=+keg+near%3A%22121+W+Trade+St%2C+Charlotte+NC%22+within%3A10mi
http://search.twitter.com/search?q=&ands=keg&phrase=&ors=&nots=&tag=&lang=all&from=&to=&ref=&near=121+West+Trade+St%2C+Charlotte%2C+NC&within=5&units=mi&since=&until=&rpp=50

Based on the results returned from the 10mi radius, it seems to
indicate that even though I tweeted from a Place, the tweet is being
generalized to the parent city bounding box of Charlotte, NC. It just
doesn't feel right; does it have to do with an optimization to avoid
the heavy cost of performing calculations for sorting by distance?
I'll update this post with the API call tomorrow morning when I get in
the office. I've got it tucked away in the error logs with no root
password in my keychain.

In the meantime, any clarification or light you can shed on how you
guys are calculating proximity would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Corey