I have done some more digging around (WireShark is amazing!) and I
have gotten past a big initial hurdle: I was building the signature
base string wrong (building it, then setting more parameters, which
should have been part of the base string in the first place).
As a sanity check, at this point my code can, using xAuth, post
twitter status updates.
But I'm incredibly confused as to what I need to send to twaud.io's
server.  It says x_verify_credentials_authorization should contain the
Authorization header.

That authorization header is built with a base string of

POST&http[All those oauth_* params and the encoded twaud.io params]

but if the base string is supposed to include all the post form
parameters, x_auth_service_provider and
x_verify_credentials_authorization are form parameters, but I can't
include authorization, since that is defined as something that
contains the output of this whole thing.

So what SHOULD be in the base string's params?  I tried just putting
in everything except the x_verify_credentials_authorization and
x_auth_service_provider and get the very opaque 403 Forbidden / Not
Authorized.

I mean, the account is Authorized by twaud.io and twitter, and we have
an xAuth token from twitter, so that doesn't seem very informative.

Here's a sample base string:

POST&http%3A%2F%2Ftwaud.io%2Fapi%2Fv2%2Fupload.json&oauth_consumer_key%3DofEzSNkKNMzu4ANhII5g%26oauth_nonce%3D8BE06737-9C9C-4EB1-A3B7-CDFCDAD7DF13%26oauth_signature_method%3DHMAC-SHA1%26oauth_timestamp%3D1298633580%26oauth_token%3D257264155-voUkUaayPjhrtW4a1Aid2lS2LshC5JDIM9p2LMXO%26oauth_version%3D1.0%26sound%255Bmessage%255D%3DTESTING123

containing POST, then http:// (tried https as well, but http is
helpful while debugging), the all the oauth_* params, then
sound[message].

One thing that jumps out at me is that I'm not sure what to do about
the sound[file] part, as that parameter is a multipart encoded thing,
not just another normal post parameter.  Maybe that has to be part of
the base string?