Hi!

Good day!

I'm Albert Padin and I've been looking at your implementation of
xAuth, and
I want to make a suggestion for it.

The suggestion I want to make allows the requesting application to
make a
user authentication (login) request without including the password
credential in the request being sent.

Currently, it is not much of a problem sending the user login and
password
credentials in the request because it is done thru HTTPS. I don't know
if my
suggestion will make such a great improvement, but it can I think
allow
secure authentication (login) without the application including the
password
in the request done through HTTP.

The implementation is basically the same as the xAuth implementation
details
except for the following:

1. The password credential is hashed (the same way it's hashed in the
server-side. Eg. MD5) by the application.

2. After the application generates the HMAC signature, it omits the
password
field and value (hashed credential) from the request and sends it to
the
server (even thru HTTP). Now on the server end, when it receives the
request, it just inserts the hash value of the user password and
validates
the signature. If the signature validates, then you can assume that
the
password was correct. If it's not valid, then either the password is
wrong,
or the request has been tampered with. In both cases, you don't grant
token.

With this implementation, you can provide authentication thru HTTP
without
passing the password through the wire. I don't know if this advantage
is
worth it.

Should you have any questions, clarifications, or reactions, please
don't
hesitate to reply. You may even send me a reply telling me where I
might
have been mistaken.

Thanks and enjoy!

Albert