When I use the code provided by this page
http://twitter.com/goodies/tweetbutton and leave the URL to be 'the URL for
the page ths button is on' set, the tweet count does not update.

I know it does if you set the URL manually, which is fine, but I want to
include this coding on a website or blog template so it inserts it on every
page, and updates correctly.

I have had to resort to using the tweet me product instead, but that's not
what I want.

It must be able to work, as many online newspapers I read have it and the
count updates, and they have thousands of pages, so I'm sure they are not
doing it manually for each and every page. Here is an example:

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/japan-vents-radioactive-steam-from-plants-20110312-1brv1.html

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong.

Look forward to any advice.