Hi guys,
I've developed a website that basically does this:
1) Users maintain a list of geographical locations in their settings.
These are stored in a database.
2) Users post messages from these locations using a webapp or native
app (iphone, android, etc..)
3) Users that are interested in the locations from which messages are
posted receive alerts as text and email messages.

For the text messaging I've been using the Email to SMS gateway, but
I'm starting to find issues with it.  1) A Canadian user had to
contact their provider and have this gateway turned on.  2) An English
service provider (Rogers) doesn't support this gateway.

My question is can I use the twitter API to somehow deliver text
messages to my users?  I don't want them to have to take an extra step
of going to twitter to set something up.  I just want them to easily
go through my website and set this up:
step 1) select email or text alerts
step 2) if text alerts are chosen, tell me phone number and country
step 3) if text alerts are chosen, tell me service provider
step 4) select locations of interest

I'm very interested in knowing if Twitter can help with this problem.
I've built the website and my user base is starting to grow, but now
I'm concerned about this issue.

I'm considering having a dedicated Android phone serve the texts, but
I don't know if it would get too flooded with traffic and slow down or
not.

Thanks for your help.