As a side note, currently only 3-4% of the total tweets (firehose) are
geo-tagged and are eligible to be selected in a stream location
bounding box. If the current firehose rate is about 140M tweets/day,
that makes ~5M eligible tweets/day.

I do not know what the proportion of tweets from the US is but I would
think 50% seem reasonable and would result in ~2.5M tweets/day. Even
if we lower that proportion, your 50 000 tweets/day seems way off.

There are 3 possibilities, 1) you are being rate limited more than you
think, 2) your bounding box is wrong or 3) your bounding box is too
large and Twitter has reduced it somehow. I remember I read somewhere
in the api doc that each bounding box could not be more than 1 degree
square "enough to cover most metropolitan areas" - but I cannot find
that back.

Colin