On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:34:54 -0700 (PDT), John Sheehan <johnshee...@gmail.com> wrote:
You can use my account as an example. I'm currently getting between 50 and 150 follow spams per day for the last 3 weeks. Here's a graph that
demonstrates the 'attack' http://screencast.com/t/xl7zcgdYI

If you have any other questions, I'm @johnsheehan and can be reached
via email same user name at gmail.

John

Interesting - most of the followers I've been getting are real humans, not that they're all that interesting humans. ;-) There was a period when I was getting a bunch of followers that were tweeting nonsense, sometimes not even real sentences. Eventually one or two them started to tweet links. Apparently the way they work is to build a network - if one of them follows you and you don't block them, then they copy each other. I suppose it's possible to collect data via the API and do graph theory analysis on these accounts to isolate the clusters, but it hardly seems worth the effort when there are so many accounts just spamming multiple trending topics apparently with little interference from Twitter.

--
http://twitter.com/znmeb http://borasky-research.net

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul Erdős