Thanks for your reply Matt. I'm using friends/ids:
http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/friends/ids

I decided to go with friends over followers because the people my
application is targeting would be the heavier twitter users, who are
more likely to have smaller friends lists compared to their followers.
Trying to keep the bandwidth down and all.

But it doesn't really matter which one I use because its still one
call per person and both are rate limited to 350. Are there any other
approaches? I'm just trying to make sure I've done what I can before
applying for whitelisting.