It's also possible that whatever you're using to parse the resultant XML is
greedily selecting any field that is labeled "id" -- if there is a place_id
associated with the Tweet, it will be embedded in a deeper node of the
status object. In fact, the string-based id you presented represents a
location in Great Britain: ( GET
http://api.twitter.com/1/geo/id/3a1d856bf1925a2e.json ). You might want to
review how your XML  parsing handles nested objects.

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary